Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tardis Travel Tissue Case

This project is just a variation on this post about making a travel tissue caseFor all you Doctor Who fans, this is for you.  It's a Tardis themed travel tissue case that's bigger on the inside!*  The instructions I used came from this interesting blog, but as stated in my previous post on the subject, you can easily find others online by doing a simple search.  

I obviously made a few changes.  For starters, I used blue felt instead of cotton fabric and interweaving.  I small sheet of felt costs between twenty-five cents and a dollar at craft stores.  I used simple linen for the interior and "lantern" tag (instead of buying white ribbon).  Next time, I think I'll adjust the size so that the case isn't as wide.  It's a bit roomier than you really need, plus you won't have to see the extra space on either side of the Police Box. 

For the Tardis, I found an image online, re-sized it to meet my needs, and printed it on fabric transfer paper.  If you chose to do this project, print the image on regular paper first to make sure the sizing is correct.  Many Photoshop-type programs only re-size images based on pixels, not by inches or centimeters.  It took me four or fives times to get it right. 

Because I'm not an expert seamstress, my case opening wasn't as straight as I'd like, despite my best efforts.  So, my Tardis door and the case opening didn't line up perfectly. 

I lined up the Tardis on my case and cut it in half accordingly.  Then, just followed the directions on the transfer paper package. 

Now, you're set!  Just fill with travel tissues and smile when you tell people it's bigger on the inside.*

*Not actually bigger on the inside.  It's a reference joke.

Links:
http://verypurpleperson.com/2010/02/tissue-case-tutorial.html
http://thisthatandawesome.blogspot.com/2012/03/travel-tissue-case.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment