Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade Pop Tarts #2 / Homemade Hot Pockets

So, a while back I posted an entry about making pop-tart like pastries at home.  I liked how they turned out for the most part, except I grabbed the wrong measuring spoon for the salt content in the crust... not so good.  Not too long ago, I tried again, without so much making everything from scratch.  At the same time, I decided to use the same method to make homemade pizza pockets.  It was a bit experimental, so I only made two of each, in two different sizes.  


It's super simple.  Instead of making pastry crust, you open a can of ready-made crescent rolls, or croissants.  Press two of the triangles together to get a rectangle and roll them out with a rolling pin to make them a bit bigger.  Paint an egg wash all over the top of the pastry




For fruit filling, simply spread jam around the middle, leaving an edge.  I think I did a layer of peach jelly and a layer of applesauce, 'cause I'm wild like that.

For pizza filling, spread with pasta sauce, leaving an edge.  On half, top with cheese and your favorite toppings.  I did olives, bacon, turkey, and artichoke hearts.

Wet your finger and moisten the clean edges, fold pastry over to cover, and press all edges to seal.  (A fork dipped in flour works well).  Brush the tops with egg wash.  I also sprinkled cheese on the pizza pastries. Use a sharp knife or fork to poke holes in the top for ventilation.


 



Stick them in the oven (on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper) according to the temp on the croissant package, for the time stated, or until golden brown.  This. picture is really light, they're a touch darker than it looks.  

These are best served warm, but can be stored in a zip-lock baggie or Tupperware in the fridge for a few days.  

I enjoyed these.  The taste and textures were both delicious.  They aren't as hold-in-your-hand friendly as the store bought versions, but tastier and not chocked full of preservatives.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment